Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Santa works for the Salvation Army

Because I've only been back in the states for about 4 years now, I'm still amused to come across the Salvation Army Santa’s ringing their bells on the streets or (much more happily) in the mall. The image is so culturally ubiquitous that renditions appear in the Simpsons, Family Guy, and Seinfeld, which is where I first saw them.

Originally known as the “Hallelujah Army,” the Salvation Army was first founded in 1867 by William Booth and ten followers. Since then the organization has ballooned to include programs for missing persons, adult rehabilitation, and Christmas Charity.

While the usual bell and bucket routine has been effective for more than a century, this year they’re doing something new. Attached to the usually bucket swinging tripod is a credit card reader. Yep, even the Salvation Army now accepts plastic, so you have NO EXCUSE.

Another innovation that’s been around a while is the Adopt an Angel program, and this year I participated. All you have to do is choose an angel from the tree at one of several locations (I went to NorthPark). You slip of paper will have a person’s name, age, and gender, and also a “need” and “wish.” This year I bought presents of a one year old girl who needed some warm clothes and a new toy. Bring your gifts, unwrapped, back to the same Salvation Army station and they will be safely delivered to your chosen child or adult. I had a great time shopping for this little girl, and I look forward to doing it again every year.

No comments: